Aunt Kelly’s Cool Milk/Juice Carton Snack Boxes

By Finn Clark

Aunt Kelly's Cool Carton Snack Boxes. Photo © Finn Clark

Aunt Kelly’s Cool Carton Snack Boxes. Photo © Finn Clark

My Aunt Kelly gave me the idea to make snack box containers because she made us one as a gift for Christmas. Since we get local organic milk delivered in cartons, I started saving some so I could try to make my own, using Kelly’s as a template.

Aunt Kelly's Cool Snack Box, Opened Up. Photo © Finn Clark

Aunt Kelly’s Cool Snack Box, Opened Up. Photo © Finn Clark

Here’s how it’s done:

1) You’ll want your box to be square. Each carton is about 3.5 inches wide. Measure 3.5 inches up from the bottom of each corner and put a dot there with a Sharpie. This will be the point where you will cut down to from the top.

2) Then measure another 3.5 inches above that and put another dot there. This is the high point of your arch.

Drawing the high point of your arch. Photo © Finn Clark

Drawing the high point of your arch. Photo © Finn Clark

3) We used Kelly’s as a template so just traced the arches, but I’ve given you the measurements above, so you can now draw your arch like we did.

Put a dot 3.5 inches up from the bottom. This is the point where you cut down to from the top. Photo © Finn Clark

Drawing Arches. Photo © Finn Clark

4) Now that you have an arch drawn for each side of your carton, start cutting them out with scissors. Be sure to cut on the corners all the way down to your 3.5 inch mark (up from the bottom.)

Cutting down the corners from the top of the carton all the way down to the 3.5 inch mark. Photo © Finn Clark

5) Now cut out your arches.

Cutting the arches. Photo © Finn Clark

Cutting the arches. Photo © Finn Clark

6) Fold your sides down at the 3.5 inch marks.

Folding the sides down.

Folding the sides down.

7) Sew on a nice large button. Just sew it on like you would normally sew a button. We chose our favorite side to sew the button onto, centered it, and measured about 1.5 inches down from the top.

Sew on a button. Photo © Finn Clark

Sew on a button. Photo © Finn Clark

8) Wrap a rubber band around the button once tightly and use it to cinch down your little snack box.

The right size rubber band adds the finishing touch. Photo © Finn Clark

The right size rubber band adds the finishing touch. Photo © Finn Clark

You’re done! Enjoy your snack box. I use mine to hold apple slices, or home made crackers, nuts, whatever I can find in our pantry for a school snack. And it’s really easy to wash out!

Me and my DIY snack box.

Me and my DIY snack box.

Oh, and you can save the left-over cut carton and use it as a crown.

Oh, and you can save the left-over cut carton and use it as a crown.

Still have some cartons to repurpose? Check out our Trash Backwards app where we have many other cool carton DIY projects for you to try:

Click Through For Milk and Juice Carton Reuses at Trash Backwards

Click Through For Milk and Juice Carton Reuses at Trash Backwards

Tags: , , ,

Categories: DIY, Repurpose and Reuse, Trash Pile - All Our Stuff, Upcycle

9 Comments on “Aunt Kelly’s Cool Milk/Juice Carton Snack Boxes”

1. Linda
    January 21, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

Love it. Absolutely brilliant. I bet a sandwich would fit great in there and keep it from getting smashed up!

2. Terri
    January 21, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

I love this idea! Agree with Linda (above), absolutely brilliant!
    What kinds of snacks do you put in these? I can think of many. Are they washable for a while?
    I’m a new subscriber to your blog, Love it! Thanks so much for sharing your talents and resourceness. Your ideas are refreshing and stimulating!

• January 22, 2013 at 10:39 am #

They’re remarkably washable for quite some time, Terri. We’ve reused ours for several weeks now and it hasn’t broken down yet. Great thing is that we can recycle it when it’s run it’s course of usefulness and then make another.
      — Liesl at Trash Backwards

3. January 22, 2013 at 7:50 am #

perfect for taking a salad to work great idea I might actually use thankyou

• January 22, 2013 at 7:54 am #

Absolutely! Salad would work really well, Polly.
      — Liesl at Trash Backwards

• Terri
        January 22, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks Liesl. I saw a photo of a snack carton with grapes in it. Perfect timing for me to be learning about this idea. I’ve switch to jars for a lot of things. I am looking for ideas for taking snack food with me. I camp too. I’m thinking ahead to come up with ideas for packing food. Snack cartons will work for a lot of things. Ah, just thought of using cartons to purchase certain produce and to use to purchase bulk foods like nuts. The store I shop at weighs packaging we bring for bulk items. I don’t use plastic for much of the produce, but things like grapes and recently bulk fresh cranberries have been hard to figure out a container for. So happy to learn about this.

1. 100 Things You Never Need To Buy | Trash Backwards - May 15, 2013

[…] find those stainless steel reusable lunch containers too expensive, try making your own containers. We make ours from milk cartons. They’re easy, fun to make, and last a long […]

2. | DineKind - June 12, 2013

[…] those stainless steel reusable lunch containers too expensive, try making your own containers. We make ours from milk cartons. They’re easy, fun to make, and last a long […]