DIY Busters: No Slip Carpet Fix Gone Bad

It worked for a week or two and then the carpets started sliding again. I’m talking about the silicone caulking trick I raved about in this post here.

Silicone caulking works perfectly on the backside of your carpet pad for making a tacky-impermanent sticking surface for adhering your pad to a wooden floor.

Silicone caulking on the backside of your carpet pad makes a tacky-impermanent sticking surface for adhering your pad to a wooden floor.

Now I’m ready to admit it just didn’t stand the test of time. Perhaps our wood floors get too dirty, or the children running and sliding on the carpets dislodged the sticky caulking free, but now I have a wad of useless silicone strips to throw away as testimony to my failed fix.

Silicone Caulking Failed to Stick Our Carpet Pad to the Floor.

Silicone Caulking Failed to Stick Our Carpet Pad to the Floor.

Never fear, however, a solution is near (the one that’s been around since your great great grandparents’ time): Carpet tacks! I didn’t want to nail our carpet pads down to the floor to keep our carpets from sliding, but…if I wanted to save hours of repositioning my carpets, tacking them down was definitely the answer.

I came up with a variation to the theme, however, that wouldn’t put a hole in our wide floor planks. I decided to hammer the tacks (or in my case nails because my pads are so thick) into the gaps between the boards. No hole will be seen in the floor and I promise to post an update if this, too, doesn’t work. Each carpet pad is now nailed down with 4 nails, one on each corner (not too close to the edge.)

Tack Down Your Pad with A Carpet Tack and Place the Tack In the Crack Between Your Boards. Photo © Liesl Clark

So, if you see a post out there on Pinterest or some DIY homemakers’ magazine that says you can use silicone caulking to stick your carpet pads (and hence your carpets) to the floor. Don’t believe it! The caulk trick will work for a week or so and then it’s slippety do dah again for those carpets.

Simply get out a hammer and carpet tacks and you’ll end your ever-moving rug woes forever.

If you’ve just had it with our carpet or have remnants you want to repurpose, try some of our carpet reuse ideas at Trash Backwards:

Click Through for Carpet Remnant Reuses at Trash Backwards

Click Through for Carpet Remnant Reuses at Trash Backwards

Tags: , , ,

Categories: DIY, DIY Busters, Fix It, Trash Pile - All Our Stuff

11 Comments on “DIY Busters: No Slip Carpet Fix Gone Bad”

1. April 7, 2013 at 7:34 pm #

Good on you for calling this out as something that didn’t work for you! Let’s hope people read this! I have certainly flirted with the idea (until heavy furniture ended up anchoring my rug), but I also heard PVA glue would work – can’t imagine it being MORE durable than silicone though!

• April 7, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

Thanks Sarah. I’m banking on the good old fashioned carpet tack to work. No caulking, no plastics. Zero waste!
      — Liesl

2. April 8, 2013 at 1:38 am #

I tried this on a runner rug I’ve got in the hall and it made it more slippery! I’ve got tiles so that might be why, but it went from being annoying to being dangerous with the silicone at the back.

3. April 8, 2013 at 9:17 am #

I appreciate your updating this, I had suggested to my son to try this in his family room. Now I will advise him not to bother.

4. Tim
    May 21, 2013 at 4:02 am #

I tried silicone caulk on the bottom of some woolly socks and it works well. One major difference from what I can see is that I rubbed the silicone into the socks. If I used a caulking gun, I would imagine it wouldn’t be stuck very hard onto the rug. Am I correct in saying that your silicone dislodged from the rug, rather than the silicone wasn’t gripping the floor? I have some left over carpet tiles from an office fitout and am thinking of using my sock method, i.e. not using a caulking gun, but possibly using a credit card etc and ‘scraping’ the silicone INTO (rather than ONTO) the underneath of the carpet tiles.

• May 21, 2013 at 5:55 am #

Hi Tim. For us, the silicone actually stopped gripping the floor altogether. I’ll be curious how you method works, though, because we did use a caulking gun. Perhaps spreading the silicone around would make a difference. Do let us know how it goes.

5. Niners
    September 3, 2013 at 12:46 pm #

Liquiguard GripCote Ultra Non-Slip Safety Coating – just found this online and am hoping it will work. It’s made to paint on the back of carpets for a no-slip grip. Can’t find anyone who carries it in Canada, but you can find it in the States under fitness, safety and medical supplies — found this infor by pure luck 🙂

6. Tim
    June 5, 2016 at 10:38 am #

Its worked fine for me, but the type of caulk you buy does make a difference. Some brands simply are more tacky when cured. Its also how you bead your line and will take some practice. From the pic, I can tell you’re somewhat new to using a caulking gun and yes, the way you’re forming the bead wont. First try cutting the spout a little bigger and two, you dont just “draw a line” with the bead. You make tiny zigzags where it will still look like a straight line but if you look up close, they will resemble weld joints.

1. No-Slip Carpet Fix | Trash Backwards - April 7, 2013

[…] UPDATE: I tried the fix you’ll read below, and less than 2 weeks later our carpets were slipping again. The idea, from Martha Stewart, just doesn’t work for more than a few days. If you need a temporary tack-down I guess this could work, but if you’re looking for a more long term solution, read our post here. […]