DIY Kitchen Compost Container

My new favorite kitchen thing is a thing I’m reusing for something else. This thing can be used, now, in 2 ways! What am I talking about??

Romertopf oven turned kitchen counter compost container. © Liesl Clark

Romertopf oven turned kitchen counter compost container. © Liesl Clark

Ta da! My new kitchen counter compost container! It’s a Romertopf oven turned compost collector that actually looks nice on the kitchen counter and it has a lid, too.

Romertopf Oven/Compost Container with Lid. © Liesl Clark

Romertopf Oven/Compost Container with Lid. © Liesl Clark

This new beauty is a replacement for our last counter compost container that was made of plastic and do you know what it did? It cracked. No surprise, right?

What's in Our Compost? Paper scraps, hair, pet fur, wax paper, egg shells, cotton fabrics, string....

What’s in Our Compost? Paper scraps, hair, pet fur, wax paper, egg shells, cotton fabrics, string….

Well, I was determined to find a non-plastic container and the terra cotta Romertopf is perfect for the job. Want to know one other wonderful thing about this compost container?

Design your cupboard so you can hide the compost container. © Liesl Clark

Design your cupboard so you can hide the compost container. © Liesl Clark

It fits in a little spot we designed inside the trash/recycling cupboard where we can store our compost container under the counter most of the time. It’s the perfect size for said slot.

Done.

What do you hold your kitchen scraps in destined for the compost bin?

Tags: , ,

Categories: DIY, Plastic-Free Living, Repurpose and Reuse, Trash Pile - All Our Stuff, Upcycle

9 Comments on “DIY Kitchen Compost Container”

1. July 27, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

I usually empty my compost immediately after preparing a meal so I don’t worry too much about what it is in. I have a six cup measuring cup that works fine, but recently acquired a plastic coffee container with a lid that is red (which will blend in with the colors around the house) that I am considering using now as it would allow me to store my compost for a day or two if weather was bad and I didn’t want to go outside. I do like yours, it’s much nicer to look at than what I have.

• July 27, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

Hi Lois! Great to hear from you. I envy your expediency in getting your kitchen scraps out to the compost bin daily. We sometimes empty our kitchen compost container twice a day and other days we simply let it stay in the kitchen due to busy-ness or perhaps laziness. I’m glad you’ve found a reuse that works for you. Thanks for sharing!

• July 28, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

I either have to take the scraps out immediately, or have a good cover or it seems within minutes I have fruit flies during the warmer months.

2. July 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

I’m curious to see the BAND-AID wrapper in there… I always assumed that the ones I bought were lined with plastic (which would mean lovelies like BPA and phthalates going into the garden and veggies). The inside of the wrapper feels smooth and looks shiny.

Is there a specific type that doesn’t have that lining? It’s possibly food-grade wax, although industry doesn’t tend to use this much anymore.

• July 28, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

Hi Dan. Your point is an excellent one. We don’t have a lot of bandaid wrappers in our compost in general but it’s truly a very hot compost with our chicken manure in there and I’ve never seen the plastic residue leftover from a bandaid wrapper in my 7 years of composting this way. As for the BPA, you’re absolutely right. If it’s on the bandaid wrapper, there may be trace amounts there but I have to believe it would be quite minimal. Not optimal, for sure, for a compost bin. But I guess I put the question out there to anyone in general…where does BPA belong? I’m not any more comfortable with it going into our watersheds, landfills, or incinerators than in our compost bins. I’m at a loss for what to do with things like receipts that are laden with the stuff.
      — Liesl at Trash Backwards

• July 28, 2013 at 10:34 pm #

I bet it looks great on the counter, and works perfectly for the job, Susan!

• July 29, 2013 at 4:19 pm #

It does! I like the functionality of the handle holding the lid open when in use, and the mod design for looking good on the counter!

3. Jane
    March 26, 2014 at 12:21 pm #

I replaced the plastic bucket for collecting food scraps with a large stainless steel pot with lid. Works brilliantly and will last forever!